Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Hardwood floor cleaning

Q: I am trying to clean my hardwood and heard that not to use just plain water and soap. Do you have any reco for a good hardwood cleaning kit? Possibly like a spray so I can just spray and mop? Thanks!

A: Very light solution of water and vinegar. Mop with a very squeezed rag.

Clean as soon as possible stains/drops. The issue with hardwood is not the nature of the drop, but how long it stays on it. Even milk can be very damaging if left there for too long.

Those are the tips I got from the contractor who installed my hardwood, and so far so good.

Q: How many % water and % vinegar?

A: http://www.marthastewart.com/article/floor-care-101?lnc=14083a7d172ee010VgnVCM1000003d370a0aRCRD&rsc=dl_subsections_home_housekeeping#

Martha recommends 4:1 water:vinegar.

A: Even less, maybe 6:1. Vinegar is acid after all, the finish might suffer a bit.

No comments: