Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Permanent Furnace Filters

Q: I’m looking to replace the disposable filters in my furnace with a permanent washable filter.

Anyone have any recommendations of filters and/or online stores that sell them? The dimensions I need are 16”x20”.

A: I purchased mine at Lowes or Home Depot. Not sure how well they work compared to the disposable ones. I have an odd-shaped intake that regular filters didn’t fit.

A: I had my filter replaced with one of those electronic filters (Trane brand) and love it. I notice less dust in my house. I was skeptical that it would make that much difference but it really does seem to keep the air cleaner and do a better job than regular filters. Expensive, but I think worth it now that I have it and have noticed a difference.

A: The only downside I’ve found to the electrostatic filters is that they do generate ozone. Most people don’t notice it or care, but some people can be sensitive to it and get headaches. I never was able to find a published acceptable limit on ozone levels in interior living spaces.

I have had a Honeywell electronic filter installed and love it. Given all the dust on the elements (simple to clean), it is working rather well. Almost 14 years and never a problem.

A: The levels of ozone you’ll get out of one of these mounted filter things is wayyy less than you’ll get out of a portable air thing, like those fans they sell at Sharper Image. Those things dump ozone like there is no tomorrow, and are the things that are most likely to make people feel blah.

1 comment:

Furnace Filters Canada said...

Selecting a replacement furnace filter for you heating and cooling equipment can be a bit of a detailed process. There are many options and many filters to choose from. Here we provide some information for consumers to consider regarding furnace filter maintenance.

Furnace Filters Canada