Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Furnace Trane XE 80 not firing up

Q: This morning I foud my heater is not blowing hot air. Thermostat kicks it on, I hear a fan starts spinning. I then hear a few clicking sounds (relay switch type) and furnace does not fire up. After 1 minute the fan stops. The loop start again after a few seconds. I have looked at the controller inside the furnace. It's status says "normal. call for heat". Any idea why furnace is not firing up?
pls r me also.


A: Sounds like the igniter isn’t working. That’s what was broken in ours last time, it ended up being a quick but expensive part to replace.

A: That is also my guess. I had opened covers and let it run in the next trial. Unfortunately, this time igniter glowed on and furnace started. I was not able to determine if igniter failed in previous attempts. Anyway I will look closely when it fails next time.
Is ceramic igniter expensive? It looked like an easy part to pull out. Why was it expensive?

A: I have no idea why the part was expensive, maybe it is made out of adamantium ;)

A: A few years back I had the same thing happen during a bad snowstorm and went without heat for a few days before paying someone too much for a $27 part and 15 minutes of labor.

You can buy the parts online (just look up the model number of your furnace and/or pull your igniter and get the part number off and search on it). I’ve had to replace a bad igniter myself since then (bad igniter Karma I guess). Just make sure to cut the power to your furnace first. Takes about 15 minutes to replace it and it’s worth knowing how.

A: One of the people I had out doing an estimate for furnace replacement touched on this subject (ceramic glowplugs) – his claim was that the part is easy to replace but difficult for a homeowner to order, so you have to go through a heating company and have them order the part and replace it and you get a nice labor charge. He also mentioned a newer type of glowplug being used more recently that doesn’t have the cracking issues the ceramic ones do.

I’m having a Trane installed in about two weeks – here’s hoping for the best!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I'm going through this same problem right now. It is the High Temperature Limit Switch. If your filters get too dirty, it will ruin the switch. It is a $45 part, and only takes about 3 minutes to replace.

Unknown said...

I'm going through this same problem right now. It is the High Temperature Limit Switch. If your filters get too dirty, it will ruin the switch. It is a $45 part, and only takes about 3 minutes to replace.

nutrendmediacarpetAdelaide said...

A properly cleaned furnace filter can not only protect the respiratory health of your family by filtering harmful and agitating substances out of the air, but it can also help your furnace to run more efficiently due to an open airflow, not only saving you money, but also reducing the risk of a home fire as a result of a clogged filter.

Furnace Filters 20x20x5

Unknown said...

This post is different from what I read on most blog. And it have so many valuable things to learn.

Heating and cooling Toronto

Anonymous said...

I went over this website and I believe you have a lot of wonderful information, saved to my bookmarks furnace repairs