Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Replacing chandelier

Q: We would like to replace our entryway and dining area chandelier and were looking for some references. The estimates that I got so far range around $350 (installation cost) . Is is reasonable? Our ceilings are 12' and 8' high .

Also on the similar note, can I mix a contemporary and a traditional chandelier in a split level house at entry and dining area?


A: Installation should take an hour at most for both chandeliers. Whether that’s worth $350 is a personal decision – I personally would never pay that, but I’m a pretty hard core do it yourselfer.

A: We’ve got a more modern one in the dining room (where the ceilings are 8’ and I could replace myself) – and a more classical one just off that in the entry way that we haven’t gotten around to changing yet (16’ ceilings – not willing to do electrical work on that high of a ladder J) It looks ok today.

As someone that is somewhat afraid of heights – I recognize that I will pay for that at some point.

A: You can combine whatever things you want, its your house! “Contemporary” and “Traditional” should be able to go together just fine. Something like a modern aluminum and halogen beam chandelier and a classic tiffany chandelier might be a more difficult match, but if that is how you put your house together there is probably a way to make it work.

As far as $350, that sure does seem like a lot to swap a light. Are these lights particularly big? Chandeliers come in lots of different sizes and weights. If it is really big and heavy it may be worth it to pay someone. I put a heavy ceiling fan up one time and it was a little tricky, a month ago I put up a really small light (4 halogen spotlights on a ~12x12 square plate) which was close to impossible to install because of how the wires and screws were arranged. That was extremely frustrating (I actually dropped it once, thank goodness I always wrap the ground wire really good first otherwise it would have destroyed something) but not worth 300. At the end of the day there are 3 color coded wires that you screw together, and a couple of bolts that hold the thing up, so the actual ‘how’ to do it is really easy.

Now the most recent chandelier I put up… I had to fabricate a mounting bracket because the one it came with wasn’t capable of orienting the light correctly (it is rectangular, so direction matters). The amount of work that took I would have happily given someone $200 to deal with it.

So, summary? No one can tell you if it is worth the price except for you.

No comments: