Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Mushrooms in the lawn

Q: The lawn in my front yard looks okay but the backyard lawn has quite a few big mushrooms recently. Are there any natural ways (not using harsh chemicals) to remove them and then prevent them from cropping up again?

A: I usually just pick them (and then mulch them). They don’t seem to be like weeds and continually come back.

A: Mushrooms are pretty rampant this year due to the relatively mild and wetter than normal summer we had (minus that week in late July when it got insanely hot). I have them all over my yard. As soon as I pick up the ones that seemed to grow overnight, I have a new batch awaiting me a day or two later. I can’t win. It’s almost like trying to beat moss, which I’ve learned is a pretty futile effort. Both are especially bad in areas that receive a lot of shade in general and where soil is acidic. I just put dolomite lime mix on my lawn this weekend so that it could sink in with the coming rain and sweeten my soil over the winter. The sweeter soil should slow down the moss growth and hopefully slow down the mushroom growth as well.
But if anyone knows of a fungicide that will do something more quickly and not harm my lawn or the groundwater, I’m listening.


A: In any case, you should make sure children don’t get to them.
Just stay on the safe side as some can have very vivid colors and attract young children.


A: I was told this weekend that some fungus are symbiotic with the trees – those shrooms are just the flowers for what’s significantly bigger beneath the ground, and supplying needed nutrients to the trees’ root systems. Careful applying fungicide.

A: Yeah I was trying to resist suggesting disposing of them by frying them with some eggs and tomatoes

No comments: