Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Leaking replacement faucet

Q: Last night I completed my second faucet replacement. There is a slight issue with this replacement where the water lines connecting to the new faucets bead water a small amount. This is happening on both lines. Tightening the lines where they connect to the faucet did not make a difference. I tried using plumbers tape around the threads without effect.

Are re-using water lines with new faucets a good practice or should they just be replaced with new ones as well?


A: How much plumbers tape are you using? You usually have to use quite a bit, I’ve seen plumbers wrap it around 10 to 20 times, depending on the size. Also if the rubber rings/gaskets are corroded, then it might be worth replacing them as well.

Q: Thanks. I am probably not applying enough of the tape to be effective in stopping the leaks. I’ll also pick up replacement lines just in case.

A: On my air tools I could only go around twice before I was no longer able to screw the connectors together far enough that I was comfortable. With the shower heads I installed it was a few more wraps (I used regular Teflon on the shower, but a thicker tape designed for gas on the air tools), but it was not anywhere near 20, probably not even 10.

Is it possible that you have bent the connectors by over tightening them?

A: I use 3 wraps with Teflon, and yes, DON”T overtighten, just enough to not leak, no more, or it starts leaking again.

A: I want to thank everyone for their guidance and input into my leaking faucet issue. I examined the existing water lines and the connectors looked a bit worn. A replacement set that was tightened by hand and now everything looks good.

Being paranoid I'm going to be checking the pan for leaks all weekend, just to be safe.

No comments: