Monday, October 15, 2007

Sliding Doors vs. French Doors

Q: At the risk of starting a huge debate I’m going to ask the question anyway…

1st some background:
We are building a new home and are just fine tuning the elevations on plans with our architect and our contractor.
I, along with my contractors wife and architect, very much like the look and open feel of French doors – our contractor and my husband like the small bit of added security, the 0 clearance, better screen coverage and the lower cost of sliding glass doors. (one set of these will be two sliding doors - sliding, meeting in the middle and locking together).

I’ve had sliding glass doors in other homes and have hated the metal ones. The vinyl one I had was nice, but it was also only about 1 yr old when I left it.
I’ve never had French doors.

Now the questions:
I’m wondering for those of you that have had vinyl sliding doors for a while – are there any problems with them? Such as sticking or going off track?
For those with French doors, any problems or concerns with them? Was the extra cost worth it?
For both – any regrets in installing one vs. the other?

Thank you for your opinions.
If there is interest in a compile I will send out.
I’m sure I’ll be requesting more of your opinions as I get more involved in the process...
If you want to impart any more kernels of wisdom my way (like stay away from granite counters if you use a lot of lemon or use laminate floor in the kids’ rooms till they get older) I would greatly appreciate it.


A: It also depends on the layout of the room. You need to consider the space the French doors need when opened.
Our dining room has sliding doors. French doors would have been nicer, but we would have had to get a smaller dining table if French doors were to swing all the way open, and it would still be awkward to get around the door and the table.

A: I heard this before as well….my thought was “why not have them swing outward if you have a large enough deck/space?”
Thoughts about French doors opening outward?

A: Gotta have fancy hinges to have inside hinges with outside swinging door.

A: You don’t need inside hinges. You can use outside security hinges where the pins can’t be removed.

A: Security hinges are only ½ the solution though. You also need hinge bolts (then even if they drill out or force the hinge bolts the door does not pull out).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Let's find out the good benefits of using this garage door to keep your home safe.

Roll Up Gate Repairs Brooklyn