Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Soaked insulation in crawl space.

Q: We had a water leak from a water pipe running the floor boards that resulted in one piece of the insulation foam under the floor (in crawlspace) getting soaked.

Would it be advisable to replace this or can I let it dry out on its own? I am concerned about potential mold problem (though given the cold weather that might not be an issue).
The other concern I have is about the water pipe not being properly insulated while the foam is wet, which could cause potential leakage if the temperature dips below freezing.

Where can I buy the appropriate insulation material? How is it sold – I just need a small piece to replace the one section.

A: While it would likely dry in time, replacing it couldn’t hurt. I wouldn’t worry about freezing – it takes pretty low temperatures to get a crawlspace below freezing.

You will probably have to buy a board of insulation of the type that you need. Both home depot and lowes sell the stuff.

No comments: